Welcome!

If things only ended and had no beginning, you would find me chagrinning.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Case Studies

Of the four case studies we read about, I feel most connected to Danielle DeVoss's reflection about her sponsers of literacy. She had an interest in computers, and due to her socio- economic background, she had the means to pursue this interest. As a kid, my parents told me that I could do anything and they'd support it (although they never let me do karate or even gymnastics). This unwavering, encouraging support certainly affected which kinds of literacy I chose to learn, and how proficient I would become in those fields.
For example, I am somewhat literate when it comes to stage productions, especially musicals. My first opportunity to be part of a production came in 8th grade when I was living abroad; our school decided to put on "Guys and Dolls", and I decided to try out for it. Strangely enough, a year later and back in the states, my high school also decided to put on "Guys and Dolls". I was cast as a different part, which helped me gain perspective, as I now had to speak for the antagonist instead. This perception shift helped me tweak my acting style for the next and last musical I'd be in, "West Side Story".

No comments:

Post a Comment