Welcome!

If things only ended and had no beginning, you would find me chagrinning.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pencils to Pixels

One of Dennis Baron's points in his article "From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies" is that technology is changing the writing process - whether for the good or for the worse, he leaves up to personal opinion. He notes that after using computers, it's hard for him to draft anything on a simple piece of paper. I wholly disagree.
At least for creative, fictional, narrative pieces, I feel like I need a pencil and paper. I need to be able to feel the paper, and physically writing the words allows my brain a few more moments of meta-analysis of whatever I'm scratching on the paper. Most of my editing when it comes to syntax and diction happens in these brief moments between pencil strokes. I can touch type much faster on a computer; this in combination with my lethargy when it comes to editing means that stuff I write on paper is probably better, more whole, than junk I fling into cyberspace.
However, access to this technology has it's benefits. Having the internet at your fingertips is a very useful tool for any writer, actually, anybody. However, I have a little pocket gadget that can surf the web, so my best set up is legal pad and pen, with my 3G six shooter primed for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment